`
For some reason
I was agitated that day,
Wailing aloud hysterically…

Ma, soft and kind as ever,
Came along; she took me in her lap,
Cuddled and caressed me
Against all my physical protests.
I somehow flung myself away,
Darted off to the large verandah,
And sat there sobbing…

I was sure she would come
Just in a while,
To pacify my temper;
And only after she begged and pleaded
Would I royally forgive her for all.
I sobbed and waited,
Having long forgotten
The cause behind this tantrum…

My wait grew impatient,
I got tired of my sobbing.
My tears having got dry,
Only an empty sniffle remained.
And yet, Ma still wasn’t there…

My bubble self-esteem
Bid me stay,
Yet curiosity,
She dragged me along,
Where in the world was Ma!

Just then,
Those lovely divine arms
Wrapped around me,
And in a moment
She was kissing me all over my face
As I clenched onto her bosom.
She just laughed and kissed,
And I punched her and hugged her
Simultaneously…


I sighed,
And sigh gave away to a dry smile
As I lay on my cot.
Some hostel-mate knocked on the door.
They were debating outside in the corridor,
Over the present socio-economic scenario.
I had wise and knowledgeable friends.
`
Chandannagar, WB,
June, 2004